Friday, March 26, 2010

Thinking about gear...

I just picked up the latest Backpacker magazine's Gear Guide- always a favorite of mine 'cause I love to check out the new and 'tested' gear. This year the Gear Guide has a whole new meaning for me- I am looking at the Ultralight gear that is out there and really processing what can I give up in weight and what am I willing to spend to go light while on the trail. I do love some of those creature comforts while backpacking but I am kinda of getting older and, boy howdy- I do not want to carry a 40 pound pack 220 miles. So, I am ditching my Jack Wolfskin pack and thinking about going for a Gossimer pack. It is about 4 lbs difference in weight- probably more, actually... those German bags are heavy but they have just about everything you need, a tone of outside pockets, separate compartment for your sleeping bag, excellent support and cushioning for your back, etc...

On the Fundraising front- Trek for a Cure has raised close to 10 thousand dollars so far!!! This has been an amazing show of support!! I have just had a few hundred postcards about the Trek printed (actually, they were donated to Trek, thank you Janene and Robert)so if anyone can think of businesses or folks to send them to, let me know and I will drop some in the mail to you. I have been busy leaving stacks at sporting good store.
The donation gift tees should be printed in a couple of weeks. This has been a little bit longer than I had planned but well worth the wait. Tom Killion has been generous and allowed me to use the block print that is on the website for the shirt, too. The shirt will be amazing!! I am waiting for the final design from Jason at Ink Monkey and I will let you know when they are available (it will also be posted on the website).

Keep it Green and Muddy!

2 comments: