Saturday, March 27, 2010

More ruminating about gear... tents!

I have been really rethinking my Mountain Hardware Hammerhead tent. I have used this tent for quite a few years and have loved all of the bells and whistles that this tent has to offer. Two huge vestibles for starters- my original thought was to be able to break down my mountain bike and slip it under a vestible if needed (this was on a road trip to Canada a few years ago). The tent also has the most magnificent star viewing capabilities, I can unzip the ceiling of the tent (sans fly) to look at the stars, and on and on... I love this tent (except the condensation-ugh!). But it is a 7lb beast with the footprint, too heavy!!

I just found a great new possibility without the big bucks (still, not cheap tho)- it is the Vapor Light 2 by Sierra Designs. For 299.00 dollars and 3lbs 4ozs, it has it all! All the reviews I have read about this tent have been primo- light, easy to set up, and durable under windy and rainy conditions. Not to mention that is had minimal condensation problems.

I also looked at some other ultra light tents but they are a little too rich for my blood. But, if I could swing it I would look at the Nemo Morpho 2 or the Tarptents- most of the high tech tents that are weigh less than 4 lbs run up to $500.

Now I am on to reassessing my cookware!

Keep it Green and Muddy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annette,
    I took a workshop w/your husband Marc and he told me what you were planning. I'm a backpacker too (though novice by your standards). I've been using the Tarptent Rainbow for a season (my husband Rick and I used it in Tahoe National last season) and love it. It's good for solo or 2 people, very light, easy and quick to set up. It's also made locally so the owner Henry is available for consultation. The only drawback besides the price was learning to stake it properly.

    Best of luck I'll keep checking updates and sending lots of positive energy your way.

    Dania Lukey

    ReplyDelete