Sunday, July 14, 2013


Trek for a Cure 2013 has officially begun. This morning, July 14, 2013 at 10:30 am. Annette, Candice, Audrey, Devyn and Ella set out up the Meeks Bay trail head access to Desolation Wilderness area. There was so much excitement and enthusiasm in the truck as I drove everyone up to the drop off point. I am always struck by how focused everyone is when leaving on a trip. Everyone’s thoughts are on the trail ahead and they are antsy to get going. Still I made them pose for pictures before letting them go on their way. Then I gave Annette a kiss goodbye and she was out of sight within two minutes. I am reminded of a goodbye described in Jack Kerouac’s "On the Road." He describes his departing friend as “He turned and leaned into his life and he was gone.”

That’s why I enjoy homecomings more. Well here are some photo’s from the launch.

Marc “Truck for a Cure” Lancet
The intrepid Trekers of section one. Annette, Candice, Audrey, Ella and Devyn
The traditional beginning of the Trek. Putting your best foot forward.

"And they turned, leaned into their lives and were gone."
 
Annette sporting the banner created by Ronit. More than ready to get started. Into the wild, and into our hearts. Wilderness as cure, community as balm.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go. I live in Australia and am suffering from MF and it will only be with people like you Annette that the world will start to understand a little of what we go through on a daily basis.
    Have an awesome experience and I am going to love following you blog!

    ReplyDelete